Friday 26 February 2010

Here we go again...

I started planning for my first baby almost 6 years ago. We were supposedly not so much trying to conceive as just not actively avoiding pregnancy. I was completely relaxed, loads of time, if I found out that I couldn't have a baby it wouldn't have been the biggest tragedy (or so I thought...)

Hmm, that didn't last long. I stopped the pill and I think I secretly expected that I would get pregnant straight away. When that didn't happen, I went from completely relaxed to completely obsessionional. I starting reading up on everything to do with ovulation and conception and I started using Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs). When the OPKs started giving inconclusive results, I started to expect that I had PCOS - the joys of self diagnosis over the web!!! It took another few months and for my periods to completely stop before I could convince my GP to take the blood tests. The blood tests confirmed I did indeed have PCOS. I was referred to a Gynaecologist who recommended drugs to bring on a period and to stimulate ovulation but just as I was about to start I found out that I was pregnant!!!

Unfortunately, an early scan at 10 weeks detected that I had a blighted ovum (the pregnancy sac was still growing but there was no embryo). At this stage I was starting to lose it a bit. I was convinced there was something wrong with me and that I wouldn't be able to have a baby naturally. Hubby was much more relaxed but completely horrified when I told him we were being referred to a fertility clinic. He hated the idea of having to give samples and wanted to give the natural route a bit more time. Lucky for him, it took a couple of months to get an appointment and in the meantime I fell pregnant again. This time everything went ok and I gave birth to a cute baby boy 9 months later.

Baby two was much easier. I assumed it was going to be as difficult as the first time so decided I was going to actively try and not think about it and have no expectations for the first few months. It worked - a couple of weeks later I found out I was pregnant.

So, now we are about to start again. I'm feeling relaxed (let’s see how long that last this time!!!) I think trying to conceive, pregnancy, childbirth is all a very nutty time but as this will likely be my last time trying, I'm just going to succumb to the madness....

No comments:

Post a Comment